Monday, October 13, 2008

The Unforeseen

It was dinner time when I reached home, after being away for 3 days programme to Pangkor for work.
No doubt I was tired; physically drained out and probably mentally as well...with all the constant sms' regarding of uni assignments.

My mum came out and I noticed my dad hanging this average sized piece of red cloth over the top of our main gate upon the entrance to the living room. I thought it was for decorative or religious purposes.

She told me that grandma passed away.

It is for religious purpose after all, as my family came back from the 2 days of funeral process and that red-cloth-hanging was necessary.
It happened the very same day I left for Pangkor. Probably my family was like 2 hours late for saying goodbye as they were already on the way there. No one could really tell when time's up.
I didn't know bout it as mum didn't want me to get worried or distracted while I'm working.

To be honest, I couldn't feel the sadness...due to the scarce relationship bond we had with grandma. Being in town, Chinese New Year was the only occasion which brought us back together and redefine the meaning of 'family' again.

I felt more for my dad as he was more emotionally affected.

As one of the many grandsons, I received a gold ring as well. Probably it's a tradition and she already prepared it years and years ago when she was able.

I'm sorry for not being able to say goodbye to you even after you're gone.
But I'm certainly glad that you went off peacefully without much pain and suffering. 99 years of age is certainly something you should be proud of.

All this while, I believe the age cycle will just reverse as people are getting older. Like little kids, all that remain in our older folks will be just memories...without any worries. They might not remember our names,who we are, or even themselves, but all that matters is that they are living in a carefree world and hold on to the sweet memories to the final moment.

The very least I could do is to dedicate this photo to you. It's one of my best piece and it's probably taken around the same time you took off.

093

Goodbye grandma, we'll miss you and Chinese New Year will never be the same again without you. Have a great journey k?

2 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

my condolences . absolutely love the photograph though .

Anonymous said...

a lovely tribute. couldn't have done it any better myself.